The University of Massachusetts Amherst is happy to invite you all to celebrate “Sant Jordi,” the Day of the Book and the Rose, by participating in the following events on Tuesday, April 23, from 12pm to 2pm, in Herter 301:
- “Joan Brossa: Can Visual Poetry Be Translated?” A Talk by Hillary Gardner, Poet and Literary Translator.
- 6th Annual Sant Jordi Translation Contest. Award Ceremony. Poem “Clau de serres lletrades” by Joan Brossa (1919-1998).
- Dramatized Reading of Marta Aran’s La noia de la làmpada in English.” A Translation by Elena Igartuburu, PhD candidate in Comparative Literature at UMass Amherst. Director: Tatiana Godfrey. Actors: Vishnupad Barve, Maegan Clearwood, Bianca Dillard, Elena Igartuburu.
- “Pa amb tomàquet Cooking Tutorial.” An introduction by Vera Balmont, student at UMass Amherst.
- Open Literary Reading. Bring your favorite literary texts in any language!
They will have red roses for everyone, and coffee and treats for all!